The children complained of stomach cramps and nausea after eating the noodles before they passed away.
Three children lost their lives after eating noodles purchased from a local shop, the police in the Eastern Cape, South Africa has confirmed.
The three youngsters, Sinothando Ngwendu, 11, Olwam Ngwendu, 7, and four-month-old newborn boy, Athenkosi Ngwendu, left with their grandparents to visit family in New Brighton, according to police spokesman Col Priscilla Naidu.
“It is alleged that the three youngsters joined their grandparents on a visit to relatives in New Brighton on Saturday, June 11,” she said.
They stayed over and on Sunday, 7/11, the 11-year-old girl went to the shop and bought a packet of noodles.
She then cooked it and the three children ate it before leaving to go back to Motherwell “When they arrived home in Motherwell, Sinothando Ngwendu (11) complained of feeling nauseous.
Her grandmother gave her some water to drink. The other child, Olwam Ngwendu (7) also complained of stomach cramps and nausea
While being driven with private transport to the Motherwell clinic, they passed away.
Shortly after the two children left for hospital, Athenkosi Ngwendu (4 months old) also passed away while on route to hospital in another vehicle. Sinothando Ngwendu is a cousin Olwam and Athenkosi Ngwendu. “A post mortem will be conducted to establish the exact cause of their deaths,” she added.