Breaking News

Yoruba Nation rally: IPO confirms stray bullet killed Jumoke Oyeleke

The Investigating Police Officer, Onyeisi Nwaolai, in charge of the matter of Jumoke Oyeleke, the salesgirl who was allegedly killed during the Yoruba Nation rally in Lagos on July 3, has confirmed that she was killed by a stray bullet.

Nwaolai, in a witness statement, noted that investigation into the death of Jumoke showed that she was hit by a bullet.

Agitators for the Yoruba Nation gathered at the Gani Fawehinmi Park at Ojota amid the presence of armed policemen and soldiers on July 3.

Jumoke, 25, who displayed soft drinks at her boss’ shop in a compound close to the rally ground when security men chased some agitators into the premises, was hit by a stray bullet.

However, the Police in a statement denied killing the victim, saying she was an abandoned corpse with a wound sustained from a sharp object.

But her family and witnesses said she was killed when Police opened fire on protesters.

Nwaolai, in the witness statement obtained by our correspondent said the police had not identified who shot the victim, adding that some protesters were arrested with arms which have been sent to the ballistic department for investigation.

The statement read in part, “I was in my office on July 5, 2021 when the case file was transferred from Ogudu division on the death of the deceased and my deputy commissioner of police in charge of State CID directed that I take over the file and continue with the investigation of same.

“That about eight people made statements to the police, including the mother of the deceased, Ifeoluwa, her employer, Tosin Oyemade. That investigation is still ongoing on the case but so far it has been established that the deceased was hit by a stray bullet from a yet-to-be-identified person.

See also  PHOTOS: Amotekun arrest Northern youths coming to Osun with weapons & charms

“That there was a Yoruba nation protest on the 3rd of July, 2021 where there was the presence of security agents to forestall breakdown of law and order. That some of the protesters were later arrested with arms and later charged to court. That the head of the police team detailed to maintain peace and order in the area also made a statement.

“That the corpse of the deceased was deposited at the Mainland Yaba Morgue for the purpose of autopsy. That arms recovered from the protesters have also been sent to the ballistic department for a thorough examination. That investigation is still ongoing for various reports on the examination of an autopsy to enable police to streamline the direction of the investigation.”

Share this Post[?]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *