Utrecht tram shooting: Three dead and nine injured as police arrest suspect (photos)

Police have arrested the suspect in a shooting attack on a tram in the central Dutch city of Utrecht which has left three people dead and nine injured.

Officers identified Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis, 37, in connection with the incident.

He was arrested on Monday evening.

Authorities immediately raised the terror alert for the area to the maximum level and said they are considering the possibility of a “terrorist motive” in the attack.

Utrecht mayor Jan van Zanen confirmed the number of people killed and injured in the incident, saying the authorities were likely to “assume a terror motive”.

A man reportedly opened fire at passengers on a tram in the area of 24 Oktoberplein.

Gokmen Tanis was identified as the main suspect in connection with the shooting in the Dutch city. (PA)

Officers said a Red Renault Clio had been hijacked shortly before the shooting and was later found further south in the city. They asked for anyone with information about the car to get in touch.

The shooting happened at about 10:45am local time. Three helicopters have been despatched to the scene.

The city’s entire tram network has been halted.

Police have reported “multiple injuries” as a result of the shooting in a residential area.

The Utrecht police Twitter account said: “A shooting occurred on the #24oktoberplein in #Utrecht

“The incident has been reported at 10.45 hour. Multiple people have been injured. The surrounding area has been cordoned off and we are investigating the matter.”

SOURCE

More from my site

READ  Ambode Arrests Army Officer Himself For Violating Traffic Law
Share this Post[?]
        

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *